Dylan Meier, Get Busy Livin’ Foundation Announcements
Get Busy Livin’ announces its 8th Annual 5K Run and Friendship Walk to begin at 8:30 am on May 5, 2018 at Hutchinson Field, Pittsburg, Kansas. Details for runner sign-ups can be found at our website https://www.getbusylivin.org/gbl5k/.
Additionally, our Annual Shoe and Clothing Drive will be collecting items to be recycled. All donations can be dropped off at the SEK Recycling site at 615 South Joplin Avenue or brought to the event.
For our motto this year we have selected the quote “buy the ticket… take the ride”. We ask our GBL friends to contemplate the words individually and cumulatively; and apply it to their actions throughout 2018.
For 2018 and since he was rained out last year, we have selected Joe Hart, an outstanding local citizen, volunteer and community leader to be our Official 5K Race Starter. As the list below summarizes there has been very few activities that have occurred in SE Kansas in which Joe has not been involved. For the past 45 years, Joe has been the local Northwest Mutual Insurance representative and has served on these boards; YMCA, Jaycees, Salvation Army, Rotary Club, Community Foundation of SE Kansas, Little Balkans Festival, United Way, American Cancer Society, PSU Alumni Association, St. Mary’s School Board, Via Christi Hospital Board and has also been a recipient of the Spirit of Pittsburg Award. We proudly salute Joe and his family for his years of service in our community.
The GBL also proudly announces its third year of funding grants relating to Youth Volunteerism. The following six grant recipients will receive matching funds to complete the following activities.
- “Plants for Pets” sponsored by the SEK Humane Society, Pittsburg, Kansas. They will invite kids to help landscape/clean up the SEK Humane Society property.
- “Mission Trip to Appalachian Mountains” sponsored by Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, Pittsburg, Kansas. Students and adults will help West Virginia residents make home improvements.
- “Community Revitalization” sponsored by Crawford County 4-H Junior Leaders, Girard, Kansas. Club members will plant flowers at the Crawford County Court house; as well as provide community clean up services.
- “You Are Loved Barbecue” sponsored by the Galesburg Christian Church High School Youth Group, Erie, Kansas. Youth group members will participate in a 30-hour famine where they will fast, raising money for world hunger and doing service projects in the community.
- “Trash Pick Up at the Fair” sponsored by the Boy Scouts, Parsons, Kansas. Scouts will pick up garbage each night of the fair.
- “Warehouse Service Project” sponsored by Cherry St. Faith Center, Chanute, Kansas. Students will make lap blankets for residents at Heritage Health.
Additionally, the GBL wishes to announce our annual scholarship winners. This year’s seven winners were selected from numerous applications submitted by well qualified students from our Crawford County High Schools.
Each individual represents having a unique value of personal motivation with “no self-limitations”. They illustrate strong academic achievements, extracurricular participation, giving to others, leading by example and are role models among their peers.
This year’s winners are:
Abigail Dainty, Frontenac High School
Matt Sanders, St. Mary’s Colgan
Eric Underwood, Southeast High School
Kaitlyn Kidd, Pittsburg High School
Taylor Redd, Pittsburg High School
Reese Willis, Pittsburg High School
Illyanna Knopp, Girard High School
Several of these individuals will also serve as our GBL representatives to a high school volunteer abroad program. Our students will travel abroad this summer with other high schoolers completing volunteer tasks at a Central America site.
Finally, our two football related scholarship awards go to; Chase Curtis as the recipient of the Pittsburg High School Purple Dragon’s Senior Award and to the Kpreps Dylan Meier Get Busy Livin’, Kansas Player of the Year award recipient, quarterback Carter Putz from Bishop Miege High School.
The GBL Foundation gratefully thanks all our Friends and Sponsors who have generously contributed to our Programs and Foundation activities.
Hope to see you at our 5K event.